New Parts and Rusty Rust

As I turn the corner from destruction to construction on the Nautique I’m starting to pile up parts. I made another visit to Tap Plastics for foam and fiberglass. When I get around to doing that I’ll be sure to take lots of pictures. The foam is a mix. Once the two parts are mixed you have about 30 seconds to get the mix where it needs to be before it starts growing like crazy. Should be a riot. When searching for unique Nautique parts the Internets becomes your friend. Besides the fin (earlier blog posting), I have found some dashboard switches, new cup holders, hinges for my glove box, and a bow light. I also found a real deal, a color-matched new cover (called a skin) for my engine hatch. It is the correct blue/gray/white as the rest of my interior. If you go way back in this blog you’ll see that the boat came with a miss-matched teal-green/red/gray hatch cover with a big gash in it. It was on clearance and I got it for about a 60% discount. Yay!

Yesterday I got a few trailer parts. One of the lights was burned out, so I fixed that. I also knew that the “bunks” (the parts that the boat actually sit on) of the trailer needed to be re-carpeted as there were spots where the carpet was worn through or almost thread-bare. I also had noticed that the previous owner has put some rope around one of the rear bunks. I got some bunk carpet (on sale at West Marine) and some no-rust staples and wandered over to the trailer sitting beside my house. I quickly discovered that the rope was literally holding one of the bunks in place. They are supposed to be bolted to the frame, so that was a little alarming. There were two very rusty bolts holding the front of the bunk and the remaining six bolts were missing. Scary.

So I pulled off the rope and bolts from both bunks (the other one still had all the screws in it). Then I pulled off the old carpet. I suppose this is still deconstruction, but I need that trailer eventually. I put the bunk wood (they are 11-foot long pressure-treated 2×6’s) in the garage to dry out. Susie and I went to Ace and got some galvanized lag bolts to replace the rusty ones. As you can see in the photos, they were full of really rusty rust. Once the wood dries out I’ll put on the carpeting and bolt the bunks in place.

3 thoughts on “New Parts and Rusty Rust”

    1. Mark,

      Glad you found my blog. I got the cup holders from Christine’s Enterprises. They specialize in “skins” (seat upholstery) for Nautique boats, but they also have a lot of the small and necessary parts for Nautiques. Go to

Leave a Reply to kandsroundy Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s