Today the trailer was moved from its spot beside the house to its proper home under the boat. The boat has sat on blocks in my garage for a long time. It was post #2 of this blog where I posted a photo of me and my friend Robert who had successfully extracted the boat off the trailer upon which it was delivered. Today that same friend came over and helped me put the restored trailer underneath the boat. Susie helped by taking photos of the progress. As you can see in these pictures, yes we are in a warm streak in Seattle and I was working up a sweat. I should be out skiing! 🙂
I got the registration numbers assigned for my boat and tabs good through next June. That was sort of thrilling to do.
Next I am taking all the interior seats to my cousin get them re-covered. I’ll have plenty to post when that happens!
Surveying the task ahead of us
What is it hitting now?
Only a few more inches to go
The back is in place, we just needed to lower the front down
After a LOT more time than I originally imagined, the trailer is done. I cut out plywood for the side steps, crash pads and half-moons near the wheel wells. I then coated the plywood with urethane (two coats) and got out the staple gun. You may recall that roughly a year ago I got an air compressor. My friend Darren found a great deal on a very nice compressor and this was the first time I have really used it. I got a staple-gun and it worked wonderfully.
Putting on the carpet was easy, but took a while. Going around corners involved a lot of folding and cutting. I was pleased with the end results. Next time I might buy better quality carpet, but this stuff worked. Once the carpet was on I put the steps, crash pads and half-moon pieces on the trailer.
The next step was installing the bunk rails. This is what the boat actually rests upon. They are two long pieces of wood (about 14 feet) and are roughly a little like a narrow 2 by 4 with one edge beveled. The wood is obviously not bent, like the trailer is, so it took some encouragement to get the wood back to the desired shape. You’ll see in the photos that I had to get a strap with a ratcheting mechanism to pull the wood into shape. One I had it bent and the holes in the wood aligned with the holes in the trailer I bolted it down.
After the rails were installed I put on two layers of carpet. The first layer is the same black cheap carpet that is on the rest of the trailer. The second layer is much better quality and is made to be used as bunk-rail carpet. It is the thick gray carpet in the photos. This was another step where my staple gun came in very handy. I like that thing a lot. More careful folding and cutting involved in this step. In fact, all of this took a lot of trimming. If you do anything like this invest in a very good pair of scissors. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.
Finally, last evening I put on the decals and now the trailer is starting to look complete. Susie was a huge help with the decals. They are very difficult to peel off their backing when your fingernails are trimmed guy-short, but she was able to do it easily. She has been a great help on this project at key points along the way.
Pin striping and the trailer jack are all that remains.
Laying out the carpet
Carpet stapled on
Side steps, half-moons and crash pads all carpeted
Installing side steps
Installing side steps
Installing half moon
Side steps and half-moons installed!
Bending the wood
I did one side at a time
Wood not aligning with trailer, more bending needed
Wood rails bolted down
First layer of bunk rail carpet complete – The crash pads are the two square pieces at the front (the boat “crashes” into them when getting onto the trailer)