Last summer the boat was used quite a bit and every time it was used we found transmission fluid in the bilge. This is quite messy, and isn’t good for the environment if it gets into lakes or rivers, so it needs to be fixed.

I’m going to try to fix it myself. We will see how that goes. To do so I needed to removed the transmission. Whew, was that ever a bit of work.

First up: get the muffler off and out of the way.

That was not easy at all. Those exhaust tubes are wire reinforced and very, very, very stiff. After a lot of tugging, hammering and exhaustive work (see what I did there?), I could see my target.


To get the transmission out – you have to slide it aft. So, you need to lift up the back of the engine. To do that you loosen the engine mounts and put a jack under one of the exhaust risers. Once you unbolt the transmission the back of the engine rotates up quite easily.


After that you unbolt everything and out it comes. It is not too heavy, maybe 50 lbs or so? Maybe more. Less than 100 anyway. Oh – I don’t have a photo of it but I put reinforcements under the engine so I’m not relying on that jack to keep my engine from rotating down to the floor.

Now – on to the problems:

I do have leaks. I thought most of the problem was with the front seal. I do have a leak here, but I was incorrect that this was the main source of the problem. The main issue is the front seam along the bottom of the transmission.

Next up – I think I either tear into this or get nervous and take it to an expert. Here is what the boat looks like right now. Man, is this fun.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s