Tonight I had Chinese food and got a fortune cookie. I opened it up and started to laugh. I showed it to Susie and she said, “You have to post that on your blog.” I could not agree more.
I’m often am asked, “How is the boat project going?” It’s been a while since I posted so I thought I’d update the blog to answer the question.
Once the purple boat was gone I hauled the trailer to Glenn’s Welding in Lynnwood. They are going to straighten the trailer for me. To do so I needed to remove all the wood from the trailer and I had to pull all the wires. I did this and quickly realized I’m now restoring a trailer along with the boat. So, the project grows. The trailer needs new carpet on the rails (the part the boat sits on) and on the platform on the sides. New wood is necessary for the platforms as the old ones were rotten.
I have discovered that putting things back together seems to take longer than just taking them apart. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, when putting things back together I like them to be clean. Is this just being obsessive? Perhaps, but keeping things clean is part of owning a good boat. If you let a boat get dirty it is nasty later when you need to do some maintenance. If everything were new and clean this would be going a lot faster. Second, I’m being cautious as I go to make sure things are right. For instance, I am sealing every screw that goes in the boat hull.
The last couple of weekends I have begun to get the boat ready for the engine installation. This has involved installing the engine frame back into the boat, and also installing all the parts that are easier to get to without the engine installed. This means mainly the bilge pump and the pylon. I spent a good number of hours yesterday installing these parts.
The photos below answer the question, “How is the boat project going?” The answer is, “I’m ready to install the engine.”
Today was the end of the parts boat. After tearing the top off (see previous blog) it was time to get rid of the hull. My friend Robert came over and we went at it. The basic plan was to saw until it was gone. The plan generally worked. Many thanks to Susie for being the in-progress photographer. I love her.
This was a frustrating weekend. I intended to drop the boat off at local dump, but when we got there the guys running the dump refused to help get the boat off the trailer. It was impossible to move ourselves. Note: “We” is Erik and me – Yes, Erik gets free boat rides for life.
After that fiasco, I decided to just cut the boat up and take the pieces to the dump that way. There is a positive in this set-back: by cutting this boat up I will learn a lot about the structure of my boat and how it is held together. We already found one interesting thing about the Tree Nautique when we pulled up the carpet. The first few photos in the slideshow below are of a HUGE crack in the floor. The tree did more damage that I originally thought.
These pictures are of the progress made until the saw broke tonight. Tomorrow I’ll get a better saw and keep going at it!
Here’s a very exciting video of the engine coming up out of the boat.
The big day finally arrived. Ever since the Tree Nautique arrived at our house, I knew that I’d have to pull the engine from this boat to transfer it to mine. Although I’ve done a lot of mechanical-type things in my life, I had never pulled an engine from… well… anything.
First, I got an engine hoist from a good friend. Kris is a fellow Ski Nautique owner (and has built a beautiful Datsun 2000 Roadster, by the way). He has a super lift that he was kind enough to let me borrow. On Saturday our “other son” Erik came over and we got after it. Susie took on the role of photographer.
I’m very, very happy that Erik could come help. I’m currently working hard to finish stripping the Tree Nautique so that I can get rid of it. Susie is anxious to have it out of the driveway, and so am I. My garage is REALLY full. I need to start putting my boat together!