Remember how much I like hummingbirds? If you go way back in this blog you will see a post about them. Well, I got new feeders and they are a real hit. Just now I saw three of these little helicopters all hovering around this one feeder. Susie thinks we should name them. When I thought there were two I was going to go with Marty and Jennifer (Back to the Future), but the third little bird in the mix doesn’t align with the movie. Plus, I have a hard time telling who are the boys and who are the girls…
I remember when I first purchased my boat that my sister told me a story. Her pre-teen son had asked if my boat would be able to pull tubes. I remember thinking, “Yeah, I’m pretty sure my 275 horsepower competition ski boat could pull a tube.”
I don’t own a tube, but my parents do and they took the boat out last week and got some pretty good shots of the boat out on Flathead. My nieces appear to have had a blast.
My father reports that all is running well, but the transmission still leaks. This fall I’m going to pull the transmission and get that fixed.
Seeing that photo of my mom reminds me of the other thing that I need to do this winter – I have purchased replacement decals for the sides of the boat. So that port side will no longer say, “SKI NAUTIQUL”. Ha ha
A video taken earlier today of my nephew wakeboarding. A beautiful lake, a beautiful day, and being out on the water… It is just the best. All those hours spent working on this thing – this is why I did it. I love this sport.
OK. Time for boat stuff. I recently upgraded the pitot tube pickups on the Rowboat. These are the little rudder-looking objects that provide water pressure levels to let the speedometers tell you how fast you are going. The original units were very old plastic ones and were getting plugged up a lot. Time for an upgrade. I did some searching and decided to buy two of these units from SkiDim (Discount Inboard Marine). You need two for a true ski boat from this era because they have two speedometers mounted side-by-side on the dashboard.
You just unscrew the little nut looking thingy and pull off the tube. Then two Phillips-head screws and the old unit should pop right off.
Here is a look at the old and new side-by-side. Note how the new unit has metal in the pickup and where the tube attaches. It also just “feels” better, which is likely just because it is new. It just does not feel like it is super-brittle and about to break.
The problem with these replacement units is that the holes do not align with the original unit holes that are already drilled in the boat. So you need to drill out the holes a little bit.
The holes needed to be elongated in an inward direction. I just used a drill and selected a bit the size of the existing hole.
After that I got some fresh sealant (3M 5200) and put lots of goo into the holes before putting the new pitot pickups in place. Ta-da!
The entire job took less than an hour.
Spending the weekend at the cabin and you can just barely see the mountains through the mist. Note the extremely low level of snow on Snoqualmie Pass. I also took this photo of the 4-wheel-drive vehicles all lined up.
I notice that there is not enough boat stuff on my boat blog. So it is time to start blogging about the boat stuff. I have some things to do and I’ll be posting here again eventually. First up will be figuring out the leaky transmission.
Until then – I’ll upload some photos.